Saturday, January 31, 2009

Speed & Angels, Tonight 7:30 PM, Lobero Theatre

I like to try and post about the trails on this blog but there is an event happening tonight worth breaking that rule. The event is a screening of the movie Speed & Angels, part of the SBIFF, at the Lobero Theatre. I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this movie about a year ago by a relative of the director. Before I saw the movie I was told it was about Navy pilots trying to qualify for service on carriers around the world. Not knowing anything else about the movie, I popped it in the player and watched it. Thinking I was going to see some top gun knockoff I was pleasantly surprised it was not. I can best describe it as Top Gun minus the cheese.

The story follows two pilots, a female, Meagan, and male, Jay both just out of flight school. I won't give away too many details away but the film focuses on who these people are inside the planes as much as they are out. Amazing cinematography, unlike anything you've seen before and well a rounded story, entertaining for people who know nothing about jet fighters to jet pilots themselves.

The screening is tonight at the Lobero, 7:30 PM and both pilots will be flying in to attend for a Q&A following the film. SBIFF website: http://www.independent.com/movies/498/

No comments: